- YHA - Youth Hostel Association
- Mount Tutu Eco-Sanctuary - Journey to the Protected Queen Elizabeth II National Trust paradise of Mount Tutu Eco-Sanctuary, a Podocarp Native Rainforest with trees over 500 years old.
- Pounamu Lodge - Nestled in pristine native forest with panoramic views over the lake to sacred Mount Tarawera.
- Lyons Lakestay - Affordable,"boutique style" backpacker,casual accommodation,B&B or Holiday unit.
- Pottsbury Organic Farm - A twelve acre organic orchard with two private and secluded Holiday Homes nestled among the trees and bird song
- Prana Eco Retreat - A unique Eco Retreat Venue, a place to rejuvenate body and soul, to swim, surf, walk and meditate.
- Whirinaki Forest B&B
- Lake Okareka BnB
- Jayride - Find or share a ride with Jayride, NZ's FREE rideshare community
- Kiwi Experience
- Intercity Coachlines
- Stray Travel
- Newmans Coach Lines
- Thrifty Car Rental
Whirinaki Forest volunteer opportunities
Provider: Department of Conservation
Region: Bay of Plenty
The Department of Conservation (DOC), Te Urewera Whirinaki Area Office, provides volunteer projects for volunteers to assist with field work in a range of projects including Kaka, Kereru, Blue Duck, Kiwi, Dactylanthus, Mistletoe, pest control, track and facility maintenance, and forest health surveys. Projects will vary in length and availability.
Volunteer projects are available from September to mid April annually.
Accommodation is provided for the duration of the project. The Volunteer House (equipped with the basic requirements) is adjacent to the DOC office in Murupara. Volunteers must provide their own personal kit including sleeping bag, pillow, toiletries and sufficient clothing to cope with ever changing weather. Volunteers must have good tramping boots and waterproof wet weather gear.
Volunteers must supply their own food and arrange transport to and from the Murupara DOC office. Transport will be provided from the Volunteer House and/or office to the Whirinaki Forest daily.
bush skills / experience in the great outdoors / must have full, current drivers licence